Freitag, 17. Januar 2014

Improving my Vocabulary

My vocabulary notebook


How the entries in my vocabulary notebook usually look like

As I'm a visual learner, for me one of the most important tools for learning – and especially for vocabulary learning – is using colours. I've created a complex system for myself which helps me find certain pieces of information quickly. As the pictures show, I use different colours for the word itself, its word-class, its important grammar features, synonyms and antonyms, pronunciation, explanations and example sentences or collocations. In case of complicated words I even add a German or Hungarian translation. Sometimes I even draw illustrations for the word or expression, so that I can combine more types of visual input.

Illustrations


My strategy


I usually collect the definition and example sentences of a word from different sources. One of my best sources is my Oxford Advanced Learner's Monolingual Dictionary, which has an electronic and an online version too, so it's easily available wherever I am. I often use Vocabulary.com as well, especially in case of the Porter words. I like that all words are gathered in one place with plentiful explanation and numerous examples. I also use Vocabulary.com to test myself.

The most efficient method for me is combining the words with certain pictures – usually with mental ones. I try to associate the word with a scene, with people or with little stories or memories. This way I stimulate more parts of my brain when recalling these memories. It's a very entertaining way of memorising things.



Example

Let me show you an example, but please don't laugh!

Let's take a word from the Porter list I have never heard of before:

cogent = clear and persuasive

Cogent looks like 'agent' and reminds me of the word 'Kojak'. Now let's imagine that the good-looking Lieutenant Kojak steps in front of you, looks at you in a persuasive way and gives you a clear argument for lollipops being healthy.


Now you remember exactly what exactly a cogent argument is: clear and persuasive. Isn't this method fabulous?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen