Samstag, 25. Mai 2013

Zsolt Erőss, the Snow Leopard


Zsolt Erőss, the Snow Leopard

Although I decided not to devote my blog to Hungary but to conquer English-speaking cultures, I would really like to share something about this great man. Not because he’s from Hungary or because he’s recently died but the reason is my admiration towards him. He had such a strong and motivational character that I would like to introduce him as a role model.

Zsolt Erőss was definitely the most famous Hungarian mountaineer summiting 10 out of the total 14 mountains on Earth above 8000 m (which are also called eight-thousanders). He was also the first Hungarian citizen to climb the Mount Everest in 2002. (These facts are for us Hungarians truly amazing concerning the fact that our highest mountain is only 1014 m…)

He was one of the most dedicated and persistent people I've heard of. As a result of an avalanche accident in 2010 his right leg had to be amputated but despite the amputation he didn't give up his passion. He’s said to have learnt to walk again because he wanted to continue mountaineering. Half a year after his accident he returned to climbing and he conquered many peaks with the help of a prosthetic leg, among them two eight-thousanders.

His last challenge was the Kangchenjunga. Erőss successfully reached the summit of 8586 m on May 20, 2013 but unfortunately he didn't manage the way back. Two days after reaching the peak the 45-year old Erőss and another Hungarian climber (the 26-year-old Péter Kiss) went missing. After the unsuccessful search they have been declared dead in absentia.


Although Erőss has been criticized by many that he shouldn't have insisted on continuing mountaineering after his accident, he is mourned by the whole nation. Many claimed that he should have thought of his family (he had two little children) and given up climbing but he wasn't someone to give up what he wanted. His wife, who is an amateur mountaineer, said that she had accepted her husband’s passion. Of course Erőss was aware how dangerous the mountains can be and he didn't want to die, but he was brave enough to take the risk and to fulfill his dreams. That’s something everybody should respect about him.


2 Kommentare:

  1. Finally!! I can read your post, though not a happy one.
    A heartbreaking story. Did you know that between the 8000m line and the peak of the mountain more hundred dead bodies lie undiscovered?! Or at least they are supposedly there. Considering his great passion towards mountaineering, I think there is no better place for him to be buried.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Wow, I didn't know that... But I think you're right, those determined people who managed to climb those mountains don't mind resting forever in the ice.

    AntwortenLöschen